I designed this site to be fully accessible for people with disabilities; please follow this link to change text size, color, or contrast; please follow this link for other accessibility functions for those with visual, mobility, and other disabilities.
I gathered the following resources for people living with or caring for dogs, cats, horses, birds, and other companion or service (e.g., guide dog) animals.
ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center 24-hour phone consultation (for fee): 1-888-426-4435
- American Red Cross: Pet & Disaster Safety Checklist
Veterinary Medical Association Disaster Preparedness Series: Saving
the Whole Family
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA): First Aid Tips for Pet Owners
- American Veterinary
Medical Association (AVMA): What You Should Know About Household Hazards to Pets
- American Animal Hospital Association: The Improvised Pet First Aid Kit
- ASPCA National
Animal Poison Control Center web site
- ASPCA: Top 10 Pet Toxins
- ASPCA: 13 Animal Emergencies That Should Receive Immediate Veterinary Consultation and/or Care
- Avian Emergencies
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC): Protect Your Pets in an Emergency
Injuries & First Aid for Companion Birds
- Dog Owner's Guide: Is it an emergency?
These conditions require immediate attention
- Emergency First Aid for Horses
- Emergency Planning Guide for Pet Owners
- Frostbite on Pets
- How do you build a first aid kit for your pet?
- Preparing Your Pets for Emergencies Makes Sense. Get Ready Now. Developed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security In Consultation With American Kennel Club, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals,American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Humane Society of the U.S.
- University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine: Basic First Aid for Your Pet
- U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): Preparing For A Disaster: Planning For Pets & Livestock
- Your Guide to Pets & Emergencies (Developed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security In Consultation With American Kennel Club, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals,American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Humane Society of the U.S.)